Jayne Tavern
Main Street, Setauket, Suffolk County, Long Island, New York

Jayne Tavern, as it looked in the winter of 1997
Jayne Tavern Front
Dormers have been added to the second floor to create a symmetrical arrangement since this picture was taken. The house is across from the end of Christian Avenue.
Jayne Tavern Back
The back of the Jayne Tavern. No one could see this side until the owners sold off the land in back and a road was put in for some new houses.

From the Three Village Historical Society Guidebook, The Setaukets, Poquott, Old Field & Stony Brook, by Howard Klein, illustrated by Patricia Windrow, Second Edition, Three Village Historical Society, East Setauket, New York, 1986.

"Jayne Tavern. Residence. c. 1750. Morris Jayne, a descendant of original settlers, lived here and operated a tavern. During the Revolution a bloody massacre took place here when British troops came looking for deserters, as they often did. They opened fire on innocent people in the Tavern and when the smoke had cleared four Americans were dead. Bullets from the nighttime shooting can still be seen in the house."

Under the picture in the Guidebook it says, "The Jayne Tavern was owned by John Tyler during the Revolutionary War. It was operated by Morris Jayne in the 1800's."

The following information is a combination of information from Meredith O'Brien, granddaughter of Dr. Heinrich Eichacker, and paraphrasing of a letter written by Edward Acker/Eichacker in the early 1960's (describing his maternal history and part of the story of Jayne Tavern). Thank you, Meredith, for providing this family history.

The Jayne Tavern and its 15 original acres were bought April 1, 1865 by Julia Meyer's Uncle, Rudolf Kreter. His name appears on the original map, a copy of which was always kept in the dining room of the house while Edward Acker owned and lived in it. (Click Here to see the portion of the 1873 map containing the Kreter name)

Rudolf Kreter willed the house to his niece, Julia Meyer. Julia was born in September 1824 in Thorn, now known as Torun in Poland, and died in November of 1903. Upon Julia's death, she left the house to her daughter Clara, who was born in New York City on May 30, approx 1855.

Clara Meyer married Dr. Heinrich Eichacker (born in March of 1858) in September 1889. Sometime after their marriage, Dr. Eichacker had the house moved up the hill and left the extension down by the street, the foundation of which can still be viewed on the grounds. The move was reportedly done to keep the children safe. Clara and Heinrich had three children, Henry, Elsie and Edward (who later changed his name to Acker). Edward George Eichacker/Acker was born on July 7, 1894 in the southwest room of the Jayne Tavern. Elsie died very young. Dr. Heinrich Eichacker subsequently retired from his practice of over 35 years in Brooklyn and set up his offices down by the street in the west dormer. Clara Meyer Eichacker died in 1904 and is buried in the Lutheran Cemetery in Brooklyn.

Edward Acker reminisced in his letter to his son Laddie about the property and how it looked in 1915. He said, "The old home was much run down and neglected and no lawns or trees taken care of. However, the apply [sic] orchard, consisting of about twelve to fifteen old trees presented a breathtaking and fragrant sight when in bloom."

In the fall of 1918 Edward's wife, Gertrude came down with influenza and passed away in Brooklyn. All during the 1920's Edward Acker used the Jayne Tavern as a weekend and summer place. In 1921, Dr. Heinrich Eichacker sold the Jayne Tavern to Edward. Dr. Heinrich Eichacker had already purchased his own summer home on Old Field Road for his 2nd wife (1907).

The west dormer/ medical office that was down by the street burned down after 1921. Edward Acker lived in the Jayne Tavern for the rest of his life. His brother, Dr. Henry Eichacker, lived on Old Field Road.

Susan Carter White Pieroth: Scans & text copyrighted 2003-11

Pictures of Jayne and Woodhull Cemetery Stones in the Setauket Presbyterian Churchyard

Pictures of Jayne and Woodhull Cemetery Stones in the Setauket Caroline Episcopal Church Yard

Return to the Carter and Kennedy Main Page

Return to the Susan Carter White Home Page